The first organization of Masonic lodges in this vicinity was a dispensation
granted by the Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of the State of Illinois in
1847 to Cambridge Lodge at Cambridge, Illinois. The nearest lodges being
St. Johns Lodge No. 13 at Peru, LaSalle County; Henderson Lodge No. 26,
Knox County; and Monmouth Lodge No. 37, Warren County. A charter was
granted October 4, 1847 to Cambridge Lodge No. 49, meetings to be held at
Cambridge and Rock Island alternately. On January 26, 1848 in compliance
with the unanimous request of Cambridge Lodge, a dispensation was granted
to meet regularly at Rock Island. The distance between Cambridge and Rock
Island, being thirty miles, and by team, it was quite arduous and tiresome.
Trio Lodge No. 57, A. F. & A. M., Rock Island, Illinois
Steps were taken May 18, 1848 to form a new lodge at Rock Island for
Rock Island County. When the name was considered, there was a diversity
of opinion. Among the names proposed were Mississippi, Rock Island,
Barrett, Buford, Illinois and Larely; none commanding a majority. Doctor
James W. Brackett proposed the name of Trio in honor of Rock Island,
Moline and Camden Mills (now Milan) and the name of Trio was adopted.
June 1, 1848 a dispensation was granted to Trio Lodge, Rock Island, Illinois
and on October 3, 1848 was chartered as Trio Lodge No. 57.
May 3, 1855 Fort Armstrong Lodge No. 186 was organized by members
from Trio Lodge, but on March 12, 1863 surrendered its charter and consolidated
with Trio Lodge. In June and July, 1870 twenty brethren withdrew from Trio
Lodge to organize Rock Island Lodge No. 658. Trio Lodge at its organization
had seventeen members. It now (1908) has a membership of two hundred and fifty four.
Eureka Lodge No. 69, A. F. & A. M., Milan, Illinois
A Charter was issued to Eureka Lodge No. 69, on petition of brethren, on
the fourth day of October, 1849, as follows: John Gilmore, William Ferias,
J. M. Plumb, F. B. Gilmore, Louis Kinyon, James Dickson, William Kelly,
James M. Gilmore and N. D. Bradley.
After the lodge had done business for eight or ten years a state of lethargy
appeared and the charter was suspended and returned to the Grand Lodge.
Finally the members of Eureka Lodge reorganized for work, consisting of
brethren William Feris, Riley Hayford, D. C. Roundy, John B. Davidson,
William Wallace, N. D. Bradley, Frank IL Harris, George M. Dickson,
James Dickson, Alexander Owens, William Dickson and John Dickson;
and the first communication was held on the fourth day of October 1866,
when Eureka Lodge started anew.
The next trouble confronting Eureka was fire. The next year, 1867, fire
consumed most of the business district of the village of Milan (then
Camden Mills), and Eureka Lodge's paraphernalia was all consumed;
the charter however, was saved.
Doric Lodge No. 319, A. F. & A. M., Moline, Illinois
Doric Lodge No. 319, A. F. & A. M., was organized at Moline, Illinois,
May 11, 1859, by the following charter members : Horatio G. Dillon,
Luke E. Nourse, DeWitt C. Hemenway, Robert H. Marshall, Benjamin R. Graham,
William G. Towndrow; John B. Boswell, Amos Gould and Charles A. Brenan,
A charter was granted October 5, 1859. The membership at present
is two hundred and fifty-four.
Philo Lodge No. 436, A. F. & A. M., Port Byron, Illinois
Charter was issued October 4, 1865. The charter members were: E. M. Hickox,
Samuel R. Allen, D. G. Comstock, W. J. Sheppard, Henry Saddoris, T. D. Temple,
James B. Temple, H. B. Young, George P. Gates, H. W. Guest, E. H. Johnston
and Wilson Fleming.
Henry Saddoris is still a member--eighty-nine years old. He was made a Master
Mason, in 1839, in Ohio. Have seventy-nine members at present.
Andalusia Lodge No. 516, A. F. & A. M., Andalusia, Illinois
Date of dispensation, August 24, 1866; date of charter, October 1, 1867. Charter
members: B. F. Eby, F. M. Boney, S. B. Buffum, I. T. Walker, John Buffum,
A. P. Roberts, F. A. Cobb, J. W. Ballard, Rinnah Wells, G. T. Connor, M. V. Spencer,
The first Worshipful Master under dispensation was B. F. Eby; Senior Warden,
J. W. Ballard; and Junior Warden, F. A. Cobb. Stated communications are held
Tuesday on or before full moon. The present membership is thirty-seven.
Cordova Lodge No. 543, A. F. & A. M., Cordova, Illinois
A dispensation was granted January 29, 1867 and a charter October 1, 1867.
The charter members were D. H. Mattice, John K. Glasscock, Orville N. Whitford,
Thomas Karr, J. L. Perkins, George Bryan, George Ege, Leonard Pyle, Jesse S. Dailey,
B. F. Simpson, D. Zimmerman, A. R. Sill, R. K. McCormack, T. F. Abbott, J. E. Abbott,
D. Nicewanger and Abraham Bolinger. The present membership is twenty-nine.
Valley Lodge No. 547, A. F. & A. M., Coal Valley, Illinois
Can not give the date of their dispensation, as some of their records were destroyed
by fire. The date of the charter is October 1, 1867. The charter members were:
James R. Rosenberry, William Wayne, William Meanor, B. R. Blackfan, Robert Lee,
Frederick Weyerhaeuser, L. H. Trego, S. Blackfan. The number of members at present
is sixty-six. Stated communications are Friday on or before
the full moon. *(Webmaster's note: Valley Lodge consolidated with Eureka
Lodge on October 17, 2013.)
Rock Island Lodge No. 658, A. F. & A. M., Rock Island,
This lodge was organized and a dispensation was issued June 29, 1870 and was
chartered October 6, 1870. The first officers were: Morris Rosenfield, Worshipful Master;
Charles A. Benser, Senior Warden: Milton G. Mills, Junior Warden; II. H. Mayo, Treasurer;
George P. Frysinger, Secretary; J. W. Whitmarsh, Senior Deacon; Henry C. Frysinger,
Junior Deacon; J. S. Drake, Senior Steward; James F. Copp, Junior Steward; and
Thomas Thornton, Tyler. The lodge had twenty-six charter members, eleven of which are
still alive. The lodge now has two hundred and sixteen active
members and two honorary members. *(Webmaster's note: Rock Island Lodge consolidated with
Trio Lodge on June 20, 2007.)
Silvis Lodge No. 898, A. F. & A. M., Silvis, Illinois
Silvis Lodge was granted a dispensation May 18, 1907, and their charter November 1,
1908 at which time they had a large class in the Master Mason's degree, working
from nine o'clock in the morning until ten o'clock at night.
The ladies of the Baptist Church served the three meals in a good homemade way;
substantial, bountiful and varied, with fried chicken each time. In the lodge work,
Rock Island and Moline brethren assisted. They had twenty-seven charter members.
Their present membership is thirty-one.
Rock Island Chapter No. 269, Order Of Eastern Star, Rock
Rock Island Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star, was instituted at Masonic Temple,
April 13, 1894. Mrs. Eva M. Conover, the organizer, was chosen Worthy Matron;
G. F. Kramer, Worthy Patron; and Mrs. Maria B. Kinyon, Associate Matron.
The first corps of officers were: Secretary, Lillie K. Williams; Treasurer, Meta DeSoland;
Conductress, Zetta Gilman; Associate Conductress, Anna Harrington ; Adah,
Vashti Bollman; Ruth, Myra Arnold; Esther, Clara Woltmann; Martha, Ada Huntoon;
Electa, Kate A. Tuller; Chaplain, Sarah Campbell; Warder, Mary Rhodenbaugh; Organist,
Elizabeth Volk; and Sentinel, L. W. Mitchell.
In August of the same year the Secretary removed from the city, her place being filled by
Vashti Bollman. In October the charter was granted; the chapter numbered two hundred
The first corps of officers elected after the chapter was chartered was: Worthy Matron,
Eva M. Conover; Worthy Patron, G. F. Kramer; Associate Matron, Maria B. Kinyon;
Secretary, Vashti Bollman; Treasurer, Martha Hyde; Conductress, Myra Arnold;
Associate Conductress, Henrietta Kramer; Adah, Mary Pratt; Ruth, Zetta Gil-man;
Esther, Jennie Johnston; Martha, Ada Huntoon;
Electa, Kate Tuller; Marshal, Sarah Green; Chaplain, Addie Elliott; Warder, Mary Rhodenbaugh;
Organist, Elizabeth Volk; and Sentinel, N. J. Sandstrom